Hello and welcome the 7.2.5 affliction warlock preview guide not really a guide, more of a discussion of the changes that are coming in patch 7.2.5 and where we are at. So in a second, I’m going to log in and compile a list of talents that I myself find viable, as well as looking at these changes when they happened. Essentially I’m going to give you, my thoughts on the changes concerning the affliction spec. So without further adieu let’s get started!
This is the Writhe in Agony build on PTR. And you may have noticed a few changes to the talents. First off, Siphon Life and Phantom Singularity have swapped places; but that’s not all you may have also noticed that Soul Effigy has been removed, being replaced with an entirely new talent: Death’s Embrace. Death’s embrace is a passive that enables Agony, Corruption, Unstable Affliction, and Drain Soul to deal 50% additional damage on targets below 35% health.
Now MG has been significantly changed in PTR. but in a more healthy way. In fact, MG and Haunt are essentially equal now. I cannot recall a time when affliction warlocks have had this much choice. It’s absolutely Wunderbar!
Now one question you all might be asking is why on earth are you using Phantom Singularity in an MG build. The answer is because it’s a huge single target / AoE dot on a 40-second cooldown that is further compounded by contagion! Need I say more
Likewise, I still believe that Soul Harvest will be the go to talent for affliction in most situations.
Tier 20 4piece bonuses will be coming soon! So stay tuned.
Tier 20: Diabolic Rainment.
- 2 set: Affliction: Corruption damage now has a chance to generate a Soul Shard.
- 4 set: Affliction: Spending a Soul Shard has a 25% chance to grant you 15% haste for 8 seconds.
- 2 set: Demonology: Shadowbolt has a 20% chance to reset the cooldown of call dreadstalkers.
- 4 set: Demonology: Call Dreadstalkers automatically triggers Demonic Empowerment.
As an aside demonology set bonuses are fucking terrible, they only save one GCD!
- 2 set: Destruction: Incinerate generates 1 additional Soul Shard Fragment.
- 4 set: Destruction: Chaos Bolt empowers your next Chaos Bolt to always gain maximum benefit from your Mastery: Chaotic Energies.
TL;DR the best tier set is by far destruction, although Affliction’s bonuses are way better than they were prior to this PTR Build. Demonology’s set bonuses are the exact same, which is a real shame cause a fucking terrible bonus. Demonology may potentially lose damage by switching tier.
Either way, just look at how much Affliction has been changed in one patch of the PTR alone. It’s safe to say that there is hope for the warlocks.
This is Soulstealer signing out.